By James Land Jones
The author's vital function is to teach that the poetry of Keats and Yeats is educated by way of a collection of assumptions, a method of apprehension, which marks it as a definite type of poetry: Romantic poetry characterised particularly by way of the weather of mythic pondering analyzed by way of Cassirer and Eliade.
Introduction: The intent for Myth
Chapter One: Soul Making
I "Curious Conscience"
II "My robust identification, My genuine Self
III "A Greeting of the Spirit"
Chapter : harmony of Being
I "Energy" and "Essence"
II "Beauty in All Things"
Chapter 3: The titanic Idea
I "From Feathers to Iron"
II "An Interchange of Favors"
III "Time Annihilate"
IV "The Finer Tone"
Chapter 4: the good Moment
I "There the entire Gyres Converge in One"
II "Fellowship Divine"
Chapter 5: Melancholy's Sovran Shrine
I "The seashores of Memory"
II the 2 Hyperions
Conclusion: Adam's Dream
Read or Download Adam's Dream: Mythic Consciousness in Keats and Yeats PDF
Best literary criticism books
"One of the main promising younger poet-critics in America" (Los Angeles instances) examines a progressive new release of poets.
Robert Lowell, Elizabeth Bishop, Sylvia Plath, John Berryman, Randall Jarrell, and Delmore Schwartz shaped one of many nice constellations of expertise in American literature. within the many years after international conflict II, they replaced American poetry endlessly by means of placing themselves in danger of their poems in a brand new and provocative method. Their bold paintings helped to motivate the preferred variety of poetry referred to now as "confessional. " yet in part due to their openness, they've got develop into larger identified for his or her tumultuous lives—afflicted via psychological disease, alcoholism, and suicide—than for his or her paintings. This ebook reclaims their fulfillment by means of providing serious "biographies of the poetry"—tracing the advance of every poet's paintings, exploring their significant issues and strategies, and reading how they remodeled existence into paintings. a terrific advent for readers coming to those significant American poets for the 1st time, it's going to additionally aid veteran readers to understand their paintings in a brand new mild. 6 illustrations
First released in 1899, The Symbolist circulation in Literature used to be a hugely influential paintings of feedback, and served to introduce the French Symbolists to an Anglophone readership. Symons' curiosity in writers similar to Paul Verlaine and Stephane Mallarme places him on the middle of up to date debates approximately Decadence and Symbolism in fin-de-siecle literature; yet his paintings was once additionally a formative impact on modernist writers resembling Joyce, Eliot, Pound and Yeats, aiding to form the position of the picture in modernist writing.
A sweeping assortment and a tribute to at least one of the main influential, bold, and visionary minds of the 20 th century
The 12 months 2015 marks numerous literary milestones: the centennial of Saul Bellow's delivery, the 10th anniversary of his loss of life, and the book of Zachary Leader's a lot expected biography. Bellow, a Nobel Laureate, Pulitzer Prize winner, and the single novelist to obtain 3 nationwide ebook awards, has lengthy been considered as certainly one of America's such a lot loved authors. the following, Benjamin Taylor, editor of the acclaimed Saul Bellow: Letters, provides lesser-known elements of the enduring writer.
Arranged chronologically, this literary time tablet monitors the entire quantity of Bellow's nonfiction, together with feedback, interviews, speeches, and different reflections, tracing his occupation from his preliminary good fortune as a novelist until eventually the top of his existence. Bringing jointly six vintage items with an abundance of formerly uncollected fabric, there's just too a lot to contemplate is a robust reminder not just of Bellow's genius but in addition of his enduring position within the western canon and is bound to be generally reviewed and stated for years yet to come.
This quantity encompasses a beneficiant choice from the essays Johnson released two times weekly as 'The Rambler' within the early 1750s. It was once right here that he first created the literary personality and solid the precise prose variety that demonstrated him as a public determine. additionally integrated this is the easiest of Johnson's later journalism, together with essays from the periodicals 'The Adventurer' and 'The Idler'.
- A Literary Education and Other Essays
- William Empson, Volume 1: Among the Mandarins
- The New American Poetry: Fifty Years Later
- The Western Lit Survival Kit: An Irreverent Guide to the Classics, from Homer to Faulkner
- Umberto Eco and the Open Text: Semiotics, Fiction, Popular Culture
- n+1 Issue 16: Double Bind (Spring 2013)
Extra info for Adam's Dream: Mythic Consciousness in Keats and Yeats
Nevertheless, the lines juxtapose Mao with a kingfisher building its nest in a cave, paralleling Mao’s time in the caves at Yanan to the caves in which kingfishers reproduce. The concurrent political ideals and organic matter produced in both instances do not necessarily have a positive valence. Like the bird, Mao crafts a “dripping, fetid mass” of “rejectamenta” and “excrement,” the rot of the body, salient images for a poem only four years removed from World War II and the holocaust. ” Then the birds lay either “six or eight” eggs: the conjunction leaving us unsure which.
47. Donald Allen, “Preface,” in The New American Poetry: 1945–60, ed. Donald Allen (New York: Grove Press, 1960), xi. 48. The poets directly referencing Williams in some part of the anthology include the following: LeRoi Jones (425), Robert Duncan (434), Denise Levertov (441), Allen Ginsberg (415; 416), Lew Welch (445), Gilbert Sorrentino (444), Charles Olson (394), and Robert Creeley (409–10). 49. Charles Olson, “Projective Verse,” The New American Poetry: 1945–60, ed. Donald Allen (New York: Grove Press, 1960), 394.
29. , 145. 30. Donald Allen, ed. The New American Poetry: 1945–1960 (New York: Grove Press, 1960), 434. 31. ,” in The New American Poetry: 1945–60, ed. Donald Allen (New York: Grove Press, 1960), 425. 32. Allen Ginsberg, “Notes for Howl and Other Poems,” in The New American Poetry: 1945–60, ed. Donald Allen (New York: Grove Press, 1960), 414–15. 33. , 416. Allen, The New American Poetry: 1945–1960, 444. 35. , 441. 36. Williams, “Measure—A Loosely Assembled Essay on Poetic Measure,” 152. 37. , 153.
Adam's Dream: Mythic Consciousness in Keats and Yeats by James Land Jones